Our Heritage- Sutton Manor, it's Colliery and Community

The community of Sutton Manor exists because coal was found here.

Before the arrival of industry into this part of St Helens, the land was used for farming. The first industry to settle into the area was Brook Works built in 1830. Although the works was actually in Sutton, it was described as being in Rainhill, the nearest large community.

In May 1906 the mine was started by Richard Evans and production of coal began in 1912. A number of cottages were built in Walkers Lane to accomodate its employees, which still exist today and can be easily spotted. Sutton Manor colliery is an important part of the lives of many people who still live in the community.

The expansion of Sutton Manor was clearly linked to the opening and development of the coal mine. Sutton Manor was centred around the colliery and nearly all the working population worked in the pit, they were wholy dependent on the pit for their livelihood, boys followed fathers down the mine. There was very little other employment in the area.

Our school was built in 1915 for the children of the miners.

There were a number of strikes that affected Sutton Manor Colliery, the strike of 1984 proved to be a time of real strain. Children were affected by the strike. Parents had no  money for new school uniforms, holidays stopped. The children had free school meals and this was the main meal of the day. In the 1990's many men lost their jobs and in 1991 the colliery closure was announced. In 1992 it was demolished and Sutton Manor colliery ceased to exist. The people who lived here were a tight knit community.

Today the colliery site is now part of the Mersey Forest project and makes a pleasant walking area with plenty of wildlife. A large white statue called 'Dream' sits on top of the old colliery. As time has gone by new families have entered the area but there is still a strong sense of community.