Pastoral Support 2020 - 2021
Pastoral Lead and Learning Mentor
Welcome to the Pastoral Support page!
Mrs Parr - Pastoral Lead and Learning Mentor
Mrs Moran - Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator
Mrs Gallimore - Safeguarding Lead and SENCO support
Here you will find out about the role of the Learning Mentor and other useful information.
What is a Learning Mentor?
A Learning Mentor carries out a range of tasks and works with pupils who have wide ranging ability levels and barriers to learning.
Learning Mentors address barriers to learning and achievement through a 1:1 supportive relationship or small group work. This may include developing coping strategies, enhancing motivation, raising aspirations and encouraging re-engagement in learning, taking into account a range of complex underlying issues that may impact negatively on learning and achievement (e.g. bereavement, lack of confidence/low self-esteem, low aspirations, relationship difficulties, bullying, peer pressure, family issues/concerns).
Who might benefit from the Learning Mentor Programme?
Children who have the following barriers to learning may benefit from working with the Learning Mentor.
- Poor attendance/punctuality
- Disengaged from learning or social engagement
- Lack of self-esteem and confidence
- Variety of behaviour issues – disruptive, bullying issues, attention seeking
- Difficulty in managing strong feelings – anger
- Difficulty in building relationships with adults/peers
- Lacking resilience
- Passive learners – difficulty in participation
- Learning gaps, falling behind, poor learning
- High levels of anxiety
- Difficulties in concentration
- Suffered loss or bereavement
- New school – difficulties in settling in
- Language and cultural difficulties
- Looked after children – in care
- Home circumstances
- Communication problems – home/school
- Issues linked to safeguarding and child protection
- Welfare issues – tired, hungry, neglected
If you would like to have a chat or would like to see me, you can contact me on 01744 678700 to arrange an appointment.
Please see the Learning Mentor Leaflet below for more information.
Files to Download
Pastoral Support: News items
Pastoral Support: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Pastoral Support: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display
Pastoral Support: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display